Wednesday 12 June 2019

Some Updates

Sorry for the incredibly long gap between this post and the last! I'm doing a PhD, y'all. I have time for sewing, but not for writing about it! (Unless it was sewing someone did in Scotland before 1543. Then I have time for it.)

Anyways, wanted to share some photos from a couple of events that took place ages ago and I'm honestly never going to get around to doing a full write-up for. Sorry.

First up is the Bath Victorian Ball 2017 - yep, two whole years ago - where I wore my beetlewing gown for the second time (but not the last!). I made some additions to the skirt embroidery, and some adjustments to the fit overall that I think helped it to sit a little better. The back is still wrinkly. Oh well - I am comforted by photos of horrifically-fit gowns on ladies of the 1850s, who dressed up in their best clothes for the photoshoot and still couldn't manage a smooth-fitting bodice. Still, though, I am way happier with the front of this bodice than the back. The nice little sweep of the skirt against the carpet there is because I forgot to bring my bum-pad to Bath! Whoops. Turned out nice in the photos, though.



Photos by Timelight Photography, and hair by Emma Forrest.

The main additions for the second year of wearing the gown were all the little flying beetles, and they make me very happy. I'm going to be making a new bodice for this dress and wearing it to an 1830s event this coming fall, so you'll be seeing it again soon! I'm excited to make some mad sleeves. Haven't quite decided on the bodice design yet, but it will be silly. And have more dead bugs on it.

~

The next event that I never shared was the Edinburgh Regency Ball 2018. This is a very cool event that re-creates an historical ball exactly: same day/date - just 200 years on - same original venue, same dances. It's happened three times now - 2017, 2018, and 2019.

I wore the same gown I always wear to Regency balls, because I can't be bothered making a new one (I also wore it to the 2017 Regency Ball, which is why I'm not including that here). However, I did add a new panel to the back of the gown, which vastly improved the silhouette and general floofiness (appropriate for a ball set in 1817); my fiancé, James, finished his velvet suit in time for the ball, and looked incredibly dashing; and I made our friend Chelsea a gown, as well, so that she could come along. We had a wonderful time, and you can see some posts about the suit over on James's facebook page and blog, Little Welsh Viking.





Chelsea's gown is blue silk chiffon over a blue cotton undergown, all hand-stitched by me. She helped to make her stays and made her petticoat on her own, so we're slowly reeling her in to historical costuming! Her coral necklace is by Janet Reutcke. My gown is white/translucent silk gauze with gold figured silk trim, also over a cotton undergown. Someday I'll make sleeves for the undergown, and a spencer, so that I can go to Regency picnics and so on...but not today.

Someday I'll also do a write-up for the Bath Victorian Ball 2018, but probably also not today.


No comments:

Post a Comment